It is a tradition in my family to take stock of our successes and failures at the end of every year. To be precise we conduct this exercise on 31st December of each year, at a quiet moment of the day we reflect on the performance of our resolutions. While we take note of lessons for our success and failures to form our New Year resolutions, hardly do we share these experiences beyond our family circles. After reading numerous books and listening to hundreds of inspirational and motivational speeches, I have learned that it is an injustice to the human race, if one does not document the wealth of knowledge gained overtime. Accordingly, as a family we have made one of our 2017 resolutions to write as much as we read in order to contribute to a wealth of knowledge to the human race. For the start, I decided to share a summary of the things I have learned in 2016. In subsequent blogs, I will expound more on each of statement, enjoy the reading.
- Always begin your day with a prayer, because you do not control your destiny. But God almighty does.
- When youFAIL, do not despair, because FAIL= First Attempt In Learning. In simple, never give up on your dreams.
- It is important to define your personal identity. If you don’t define yourself, the world will define you according to its standards.
- Success is not an accident about to happen to you on your life journey, but attained through; hard work, perseverance, learning, studying, sacrifice and most of all, love of what you are doing.
- When sourcing for a business opportunity, a NO is common response to many proposals you will write. If you get NO for your business proposal, do not despair, NO= Next Opportunity.
- Life is a collection of memories, good ones and bad one too. To enjoy life try to collect many good memories and they will do you good for your health as well.
- God gave us free will, with a responsibility to make decisions. Remember we succeed not by chances we take but rather by the choices we make. I have learned to never discount any idea, no matter how crazy it sounds.
- I grew up in a culture which promotes the respect of men and women who have witnessed many Christmases, with an assumption that they have more wisdom. I have come to learn that, the true age of a man is not defined by his calendar days, but by his wisdom.
- In 2016, I learned that every man or woman is born with a seed of greatness, give him the right bearings to his call and you will be amazed of what they can achieve. This taught me to stop judging the fish by its ability to climb a tree, but rather by its ability to swim.
- In 2016 I learned that, to win or succeed in life you have to standup for what you believe in no matter the size of your obstacles. The FEAR of failure is the greatest inhibitor to your success. Defeat fear and you’re on way up.
- You cannot be successful in too many things, just build a personal brand and be consistent in your output, before you know it. You will have become a household name, see MUKWANO and MOVIT.
- Being humble does not mean you’re STUPID or WEAK, but rather it means you’re SMART and WISE. Always choose your opportunities and battles wisely, if not careful they could be your last.
- If you’re running a business or a career do not just follow a trend, and if you must join the trend, remember to set the pace, otherwise set a new trend.
- Human beings will always remain human beings, if they could betray God the creator and Jesus the savior what about you? Therefore don’t work to please people, trust me they are hard to please. Just work fairly and justly to achieve your goals. Inherently some people will be pleased and others displeased.
- Make seeking knowledge your third need from oxygen and food. Accordingly, make it a habit to read a book a month, there hidden treasures in books.
The author is a Senior Consultant at Eight Tech Consults (www.8technologies.net) and a Lecturer at Makerere University (www.cis.mak.ac.ug) & Uganda Technology and Management University (www.utamu.ac.ug)