A team led by agricultural experts; Prof Samuel Kyamanywa and Dr. Settumba B. Mukasa from Makerere University College of Agriculture and Environmental sciences (CAES) went for field work in East and Northern Uganda to register various sweet potato farmers as well as map the locations of the gardens in districts of; Kamuli, Budaka, Mbale, Bukedea, Serere, Lira and Gulu using the VIAZI Mobile App under the ICOPSEA project.
The VIAZI Mobile App is one of the products under the ICTs for the ICOPSEA project. This mobile app developed by Eight Tech Consults, has both online and offline mode. The other modules in the app include the following:
- Farmer and Inspector profiling
- Garden and Screen House Mapping
- Garden inspection reporting (Inspectors)
- Capturing and sending of queries (extension services)
- Variety Capture (Documentation of Maturity periods and attributes)
- Ordering of Roots and Vines
This project is being undertaken in the whole of the East African region with countries like Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania and Rwanda taking part.